Friday, October 1, 2010

Parody Week: How "Forrest Gump" Should Have Ended

This is the part of the movie after Jenny and Forrest both get married.

MINISTER: Do you, Forrest, take Jenny to be your wife? Do you, Jenny, take Forrest to be your husband? If so, I pronounce you man and wife.

The wind blows fallen leaves across the ground. Jenny, Forrest, and Forrest Jr. walk toward the house. They all hold hands as they walk.

INTERIOR GUMP HOUSE, MORNING

Forrest steps into Jenny's bedroom. He carries a tray with breakfast on it. Forrest looks at Jenny as she sleeps. Slowly she wakes up and looks at Forrest.

FORREST: Morning Jenny.
JENNY: Good morning, Forrest.
FORREST: I brought you some breakfast, to get your strength up. Mama always said to eat a hearty breakfast in the mornin'.
JENNY: Thank you Forrest.

Jenny reaches across the bed and grabs Forrest's hand. She holds it tight.

JENNY: I love you.
FORREST: I love you too, Jenny. (pause) Lieutenant Dan was talkin' to me. He said if you're sick he can get you a doctor.
JENNY: I don't want no doctor, Forrest. No doctor is gonna help me with what I got, Forrest. Ain't nothin' we can do.
FORREST: But Lieutenant Dan said-
JENNY: Lieutenant Dan was wrong, Forrest. Ain't nothin' we can do.

Jenny grabs a piece of bacon and stuffs it into her mouth. Forrest walks out, disappointed.

FORREST (VO): Jenny wasn't right though, it was Lieutenant Dan's doctor that helped her when she went into a coma. The doctor said it was a word I couldn't pronounce that Jenny had, and told us she would be fine in a little bit. I went to my Jenny every day with Forrest Jr. and let him read her a book.

Forrest Jr. reads a book on Forrest's lap to Jenny.

FORREST JR.: (reading) "But he wasn't quite sure. Everywhere they went, the new guests..."

FORREST (VO): He's so smart.

Forrest is sitting alone with Jenny in the hospital. He has a pile of books with him.

FORREST: Hi Jenny. I'm gonna read to you today, because Forrest Jr. is at school now. He's doin' great there. You should've seen him this mornin'.

FLASHBACK Forrest and Forrest Jr. are walking towards a yellow school bus.

FORREST: You got everything for school?

FORREST Jr.: Yes, Daddy.

FORREST: OK, well you have fun at school then. I'll be here when you get back.

FORREST Jr.: Are you gonna go see mama while I'm at school?

FORREST: Yeah, I'm gonna go see her. Make sure she's OK and everything.

FORREST Jr.: You should read to her. Here.

Forrest Jr. takes off his book bag and takes out Curious George.

FORREST: My favorite book.

FORREST Jr.: You should read it to mama. I was goin' to, but it'll make her happy if you read it to her.

INTERIOR SHOT, HOSPITAL BED

Forrest takes out the book and opens it to find a feather from the beginning. The feather lifts up and falls on top of Jenny still in a coma. The feather then lifts up and out of the room's window.

FORREST (VO): I read my Jenny that book. I know she liked it. She always liked when I read her those books in the coma. She told me she liked it.

EXTERIOR, GUMP HOUSE

JENNY: Boys, dinner's almost ready. Come get cleaned up.

FORREST Jr.: Do we have to, Daddy?

FORREST: You listen to mama, there Forrest Jr. Mama always knows best.

FORREST (VO): Jenny and me always loved our life after that. It was always good. Lieutenant Dan even got a thank you letter from us for the doctor helpin' Jenny. We haven't had any more kids since then, but Forrest Jr. is doing just fine. Everyone is doin' just fine. Life goes on. Mama always said, life was good. Death was just a part of life. But I'm glad Jenny can stay here now with Forrest Jr. and me and live her life too. Livin' is just as much a part of life as dyin', I guess.

The two parents wave to Forrest Jr. going off onto the school bus. A feather falls to Forrest's feet from a gust of wind. As he turns around, the feather is knocked back into the air again and slowly falls to the ground as the bus goes one way and Forrest and Jenny walk the other.

The End

No comments:

Post a Comment